What to Expect from Liposuction Recovery
Liposuction is a potentially ideal solution for those people who are at or near their ideal weight yet are struggling to rid themselves of stubborn pockets of isolated fat on various parts of their bodies. Over the past two decades, it has helped millions of people achieve more toned and defined contours, generally improving their confidence in their appearance in the process. Best of all, liposuction is one of the safest and least invasive of all forms of plastic surgery. With advances in technology, it has become only safer and continues to evolve into one of the most discreet and refined surgeries in all of cosmetic medicine.
Of course, despite its many benefits and advantages, liposuction remains a surgical procedure, and a major one, at that. Patients must fully understand its possible risks and side effects before committing to the procedure rather than simply being awestruck by the results they could potentially achieve. They should also understand that the procedure, although minimally invasive, does require a recovery period during which they must diligently follow post-operative instructions provided to them in order to ensure proper healing and the best possible results. If they are unable or unwilling to follow these instructions, then they are not likely to be considered good candidates for liposuction.
Dr. Oren Z. Lerman is careful to explain every aspect of liposuction recovery during consultations at his Manhattan plastic surgery practice so that patients know exactly what to expect after surgery before committing to the procedure. He takes the time to address whatever questions and concerns they might have so that they can make the most informed decisions possible regarding their care.
Is liposuction right for you? To find out for certain, we encourage you to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Lerman today.
What can you expect during liposuction recovery?
Although you will be provided with specific post-surgical instructions by Dr. Lerman, there are general elements of liposuction recovery that every patient should expect to experience. Many patients are surprised to learn that, while liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure, it will require them to take at least a week off of work and possibly even longer, depending on the extent of their surgery.
During liposuction recovery, you should:
- Expect to experience some bruising and swelling at the treatment sites. This is normal and unavoidable. If you wear your compression garments as advised, however, bruising and swelling will be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Expect to experience at least some mild discomfort. After all, liposuction is a surgical procedure, and recovering from surgery generally involves some discomfort or mild pain. We will prescribe pain relievers that will help to control this discomfort until it subsides.
- Take all medications as advised. This includes antibiotics, which will help to prevent infection.
- Avoid strenuous activity, including exercise, for at least a month. However, light walking is recommended as soon as you are able to manage it.
- Contact our practice if you experience any complications. Side effects such as bruising, swelling, numbness, and discomfort are normal, but they should subside as you heal. If you continue to experience these side effects, or if they worsen over time, contact our practice immediately. Likewise, if you experience a fever or oozing at the treatment sites, let us know right away.
Learn More about Liposuction Recovery
To learn more about the liposuction recovery process, please contact the plastic surgery practice of Oren Z. Lerman, MD today.