What Are the Possible Side Effects of Breast Reduction Surgery?
By Oren Zvi Lerman, M.D. on March 17, 2017
Women who suffer from physical pain or insecurity due to large, heavy breasts often benefit from breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction surgery can help alleviate discomfort and improve self-esteem by reducing the weight and size of large, pendulous breasts. Before undergoing breast reduction surgery, it is important to understand the possible side effects involved. Plastic surgeon Oren Z. Lerman explains the possible breast reduction side effects during patient consultations at his Manhattan, NY practice. For answers to your questions about breast reduction surgery, we welcome you to schedule a consultation.
The Side Effects of Breast Reduction Surgery
It is normal to experience some minor side effects after breast reduction surgery. Some possible side effects include:
- Pain: It is normal for the breasts to feel sore and tender due to the tissues being manipulated during surgery. Pain is often greatest for the first few days after surgery but can be managed with pain medication, which is typically prescribed to help patients through the recovery process.
- Swelling: Swelling is also normal and to be expected after breast reduction surgery. Swelling is the body's natural reaction to injury and important to the healing process. Patients are often advised to wear a compression bra to help reduce swelling and support the tissues while the body heals.
- Scarring: Some amount of scarring should be expected after breast reduction surgery. The location and size of scarring will vary based on the type of incision used during the procedure.
- Bruising: Bruising may be apparent on the breasts after breast reduction surgery due to bleeding inside the breast tissue. Bruising generally fades within a week or two.
- Loss of nipple sensation: Some patients may experience a loss of nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery. In most cases, this loss of sensation is temporary.
The Benefits of Breast Reduction
For many women who suffer from pain or insecurity due to large breasts, the benefits of breast reduction surgery far outweigh the risk of potential side effects. Some of the many benefits of breast reduction surgery include:
- Relief from physical discomfort: Reducing the size and weight of large breasts can help relieve back, neck, and shoulder pain related to oversized breasts.
- Improved posture: Carrying the weight of heavy breasts can affect posture, causing a woman to stoop forward. Reducing the size of the breasts can make it more comfortable to stand up straight.
- Improved fit of clothing: Reducing the size of the breasts can help allow clothing to fit better.
- Improved breast appearance: Not only does breast reduction reduce the size of the breasts, it can help improve the overall appearance by improving breast firmness and proportions. Breast reduction may also be used to create symmetrical breasts and reduce areola size.
- Improved mobility: Large breasts can interfere with mobility, making it difficult for some women to be as active as they would like. Reducing the size of the breasts can help.
- Improved confidence: Breast reduction surgery can help boost overall confidence by creating a well-proportioned bust line.
Learn More about Breast Reduction Surgery
For more information about breast reduction surgery, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lerman today.
Related to This
“The one thing that is most important when we're doing cosmetic surgery and aesthetic surgery of the face or the body is to make sure that the patient is happy afterwards...” Dr. Oren Lerman