Pros and Cons of Large Breast Implants
One of the greatest benefits of breast augmentation is that it allows patients an exceptional measure of control over their final results. They can choose the size, shape, and texture of their implants, as well as where their implants are placed and even the type of incision through which they are placed. Dr. Oren Z. Lerman is one of the nation’s most trusted and accomplished plastic surgeons, combining an artist’s eye with his finely honed surgical skills to produce fully customized results. Breast augmentation permits an even greater degree of customization by giving patients so many decisions that are completely in their own hands.
Among the most important of these decisions involve the size of the implants. When many people think of breast implants, they immediately think “big.” On the contrary, quite a number of our patients prefer a more modest and subtle enhancement of their breasts. Others, however, want to achieve a fuller, shapelier bust line that is more often associated with breast augmentation. Dr. Lerman listens carefully to each individual patient’s goals, advises her of his honest opinion, and helps to guide her toward the best possible solution.
Dr. Lerman advises patients openly of the pros and cons of large breast implants during consultations at his Manhattan, NY plastic surgery practice. Sometimes, large breast implants are precisely what patients need to achieve the voluptuous figures of their dreams. In other cases, smaller implants are better suited to a patient’s body types and goals, and the patient simply doesn’t realize this. Ultimately, it is Dr. Lerman’s goal to help each patient achieve the result that will make her happy.
The Pros of Large Breast Implants
Large breast implants offer certain patients such possible benefits as:
- An enhanced self-image: Many patients who have large breast implants placed emerge from breast augmentation surgery feeling more feminine and attractive due to their new body contours.
- More harmonious body contours: Some women with smaller breasts feel that their breasts do not properly complement the rest of their bodies. Larger breast implants can make the bust line more proportional to the rest of the figure, restoring harmony.
- Expanded clothing options: Women with smaller breasts may be able to wear a broader range of clothing after enlarging their breasts. Many types of clothing are designed specifically for women with larger breasts.
- Improved confidence: Some women simply have a certain look they wish to achieve. When a woman looks exactly as she wants to look, she can feel more confident and self-assured in her own skin.
Cons of Large Breast Implants
Some patients do not realize that there are some disadvantages to having large breast implants, especially if they are disproportionate to their frames:
- Possible back and shoulder pain: One of the reasons that so many women have undergone breast reduction in recent years is that larger breasts can cause back strain, bra strap indentations, and other aches and pains.
- Overestimation of size: Some women are so excited about the possibility of having large breasts that they overestimate the size of implant they want prior to surgery. Many of Dr. Lerman’s breast implant revision procedures involve replacing large breast implants with smaller implants because of such overestimations.
- Greater possibility of sagging: One of the benefits of having smaller breasts is that they are less likely to droop over time. Women who undergo breast augmentation with large implants are more likely to experience sagging as the skin supporting the implants loses its natural elasticity.
- Slightly increased risk of complications: Especially among patients who are going from having very small breasts to relatively large breasts, there is a increased, although still small, risk of post-surgical complications such as rupture and numbness.
Learn More about the Pros and Cons of Large Breast Implants
To learn more about the pros and cons of large breast implants, please contact our plastic surgery practice today.